I have slacked a little when it comes to recipe posts; so I am starting to get back into the flow of things again. I am starting off with my go-to sandwich filler which is a Chickpea ‘tuna’ mock with added sweetcorn & spring onion for added flavours. I was one of those who always had a tuna sandwich at school or a tuna pasta salad but over time I grew to hate the smell & taste of tuna turning to the chickpea was a gift! Thanks to a friend from a Vegan Facebook Group who recommended me to give a tuna mock sandwich a go because I was lacking inspiration at the time. Since then I have developed the ‘tuna’ to my taste & adding veggies I like. I am sharing that information with you to use and develop your own style; hope you enjoy.
5 health benefits of chickpeas:
1. Detoxifies Sulphites
2. Heals skin
3. Induces peaceful sleep
4. Controls Diabetes
5. Strengthens hair
So why wouldn’t you want to use chickpeas instead? I wish I discovered this SO much sooner than I did because it is honestly my favourite sandwich to make either for me or my family and friends; who have also came to enjoy it. I would love it if you too would give this recipe a try, save at least 1 tuna fish today by making the switch to chickpeas for your sandwich.
Chickpea 'mock tuna' sandwich filler
- •1 tin of chickpeas or 1 cup of dried chickpeas soaked in water
- •1 spring onion
- •1/2 tin of sweetcorn or 1/2 cup of frozen corn- defrosted
- •4 tbsp. of vegan mayo
- •1/4 tsp. of black pepper
- •2 slices of bread or a sandwich bun
- •lettuce & tomatoes optional
Drain the tin of chickpeas then empty into a large bowl & mash until you get a tuna like consistency
2. Cut the spring onion finely; then add the spring onion to the bowl along with the sweetcorn
3. Mix together; then add the mayo & black pepper to the bowl mix until combined
4. Get your bread; add some vegan spread if desired then scoop some of the chickpea mixture onto one slice; add your salad and form your sandwich; cut in half however you please
5. Dig in and enjoy your sandwich!
I hope you enjoy this quick sandwich recipe; as it is Springtime & good weather looms Picnic season is about to start so what better way to start it off than with a good filling sandwich to use on a picnic. I guarantee it will be loved by children & parents alike!